Doug's Weblog, the youth pastor at Berean Bible Church in New Orleans

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

out of town protestors


Unfortunately, that nasty word, "racism" has been flung to and fro in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. In the days after the storm, some national politicians and celebrities got in front of TV cameras and yelled and screamed and pointed out the skin color of many of the evacuees that emergency workers were struggling to rescue from our flooded city.

Now, a bunch of out of town protesters have decided to come in and yell at people in Gretna. They have brought this ugly accusation of racism back to the surface just when we thought it was buried for good.

Did you happen to notice the lack of local leaders shouting that word?

Both New Orleans' mayor Ray Nagin and Jefferson Parish President Aaron Broussard lost it after the storm. They both were highly irate at the slow progress of the rescue efforts. They both were emotional. They both lost their cool on national televison.

But neither of them uttered the term racism. Did you notice that?

Now, I must admit, I hesitate to open my mouth on this issue. I am a church leader, not a politician. I am a white, middle-class church leader who could afford to evacuate my family.

But, you know what? I am a New Orleanian....through and through...I love this city...I'd like to think I know my city and my people pretty well.

and I think I have a good idea why neither Nagin nor Broussard nor any major local politician cried racism.

It's just simply a false claim.

Maybe if this happened to some other city. A city that doesn't have the rich, cultural heritage that New Orleans has. A city that doesn't build it's identity and personality on the shoulders of it's diversity. Maybe if this had happened to that city, the claims of racism would be valid...but not here. Your words betray your ignorance of our city and our culture.

No offense, but if you want to help our city, then quit talking and start working. I have a long list of homes that need to be gutted. Put on some rubber boots, some gloves and a facemask. Grab a wheelbarrow, a crow bar and a flat shovel. Come to 3712 Herschel St in Algiers. I'll give you the opportunity to help out.

Otherwise, go home.

New Orleanians need help. All of us. Katrina didn't discriminate when she flooded our homes. So help us rebuild together and stop trying to divide us. Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

go doug!!!!!!!

7:50 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home