Doug's Weblog, the youth pastor at Berean Bible Church in New Orleans

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

blogging

So I haven't posted much lately.

Have you noticed?

I have. I think about it every once in a while. I say to myself, "Self, you need to write something on your blog."

Then I reply, "But I don't feel like it. I don't know what to say."

And then my mind wanders in another direction.

So here is my attempt at returning to the world of blogging. You know, it's kinda ironic. I have been blogging for about a year now. It started as mostly a place to communicate information about our youth ministry...but also a way to communicate with my friends and family around the country. More than that, I wanted an outlet. I love to write. This was my chance to write about whatever I felt like writing about. I never felt like I had a large audience reading. To be honest, it didn't matter to me if the whole world was reading or just my wife. I just wanted an outlet. It's who I am. I process life verbally. I like to talk through my thoughts. I've gotta get it out...regardless of whether or not anyone is listening.

Well, since August 29th blew through my life, I have had lots of readers and lots to write about. For some reason, though, I haven't felt like writing.

Maybe it's because I'm really busy. Maybe I need a little bit more time before I can start to reflect on all that has happened. Maybe it is just the way I am emotionally responding to this whole thing.

I don't know what it is...but I have decided I'm gonna just write anyway. We'll see where this takes us.

Let's start with the most important relationship in my life...the one I have with God Himself.

I have been in this awkward place where God seems to be close by and far away at the same time. I firmly believe that my entire life was leading to this moment and this storm. God led Crystal and I back to New Orleans for this. God is active and involved. Ministry is more meaningful and real than ever. This is why I do what I do. This is it. This is the opportunity that you dream about when you are preparing for a lifetime of full-time ministry.

Yet at the same time, God seems so far away. I feel like I am spiritually and emotionally spent. If I had to get up in front of a youth group tomorrow night and deliver a message from God's Word...I don't know what I would say. To be totally honest, all of the Bible and Theology that I have studied for the past decade seems so trivial right now. It's like I have spent my entire Christian life talking about the weather and nothing more. Everything I have known about prayer and Scripture doesn't seem to work any more. I don't know what to say to God. I feel like we are an old married couple...and one morning I rolled over and looked at the person sleeping next to me and said to myself, "we have been married for twenty years and yet I feel like I don't know you."

Not to say that I am having some sort of crisis of faith or anything. I know that God is real and that I am his child. I guess it's like my life has turned the page and I find myself reading a different story. I keep flipping back and forth and examining the words on the printed page and I scratch my head.

What happened?

I don't know, but I think I have a clearer picture than I did when I started typing.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

son, you remind me of myself. THE "The footsteps in the Sand" When He carried me and I did not know He was alwats their Luv Ya!

9:18 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I appreciate your attempt to express some things that are very, very hard to put into words. I have been in a strange section of my spiritual journey, and your thoughts helped me today.

I have been thinking a lot about an Over the Rhine song, When I Go. Part of it says,

it makes a difference
that i'm feeling this way
with plenty to think about
and so little to say
except for this confession
that is poised on my lips
i'm not letting go of God
i'm just losing my grip


Thanks again simply for saying where you are today.

Christa

9:32 PM

 
Blogger -C said...

It's always good to read what's going on the inside of you ... and I know writing helps you process. Have to admit ... I'm in a similar place. Your words actually helped me recognize my own state. You're awesome.

10:37 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home